Mouse Trap Race
GOAL: To build a "vehicle," using
a single mouse trap, and to have the "vehicle" travel as far as
1) Use a mouse trap, NOT A RAT-TRAP! ...Rat traps are dangerous, and
can easily break a finger.
2) The mouse trap must be kept intact. You may add to it, but you may
not remove parts
3) The vehicle must be ground-vehicle ...It is intended to stay on
4) THE VEHICLE IS NOT TO BE PROJECTILE. The vehicle is to remain in
contact with the ground at all times.
5) The mouse trap is to be the vehicles only source of power.
6) All entries are subject to a safety check.
7) Any entry deemed "unsafe" will be disqualified. (No arguments)
8) All entries will be allowed only 2 runs as part of the contest.
The traveled distance
is measured forward from the starting line to where the vehicle
stops, or leaves the
"track." The best of the two runs will be accepted.
POINTS WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:
5 Additional POINTS Will be awarded for each additional 10 feet the
vehicle travels beyond the starting point. A contestant cannot earn
more than the maximum points without traveling among the top 3
EXAMPLE: Suppose your vehicle travels 37 feet.
You would earn the (minimum points) + (15 points)
MOUSETRAP RACE IDEAS
1) USE MIDGET CARS OR MAKE A BASE BY PUTTING WHEELS ON A
PIECE OF WOOD OR
2) MAKE SURE THE WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT AND ROLL EASILY
IF THEY ARE CROOKED, THE "CAR" WILL GO IN CIRCLES OR LEAVE THE
3) DISTANCE IS MEASURED TO WHERE THE CAR STOPS,OR LEAVES THE
4) THE MOUSETRAP MUST BE THE POWER SUPPLY, IT MAY BE MOUNTED
THE CAR, OR IN A DEVICE THAT PUSHES THE CAR AWAY FROM A STARTING
5) WHATEVER YOU DECIDE ON - TRY IT AT HOME
6) IF THE CAR IS TOO HEAVY FOR THE POWER SOURCE, IT WILL NOT
7) IF THE CAR IS TOO LIGHT FOR THE POWER SOURCE, IT NOT GO IN A
(IT MAY SIT STILL AND SPIN)
BUILD IT - TRY IT - IMPROVE IT
TEST IT AGAIN